Monday, November 15, 2010

Worms and pregnant bellies.

This year wouldn't it be nice to concentrate on giving a worthwhile gift to a needy family in a third world country instead of just selfishly adding more toys to out over abundant collection? With those noble aspirations in mind, I handed a World Vision catalog to my son to peruse. What should we give to somebody needy this Christmas?
In those pages was a section about the need for treating and preventing parasite infestations. A four year old boy with a distended belly was featured. His belly was so full of worms that his belly button was protruding. Lucas was and is fascinated by this story and picture. Again and again he'll bring it to me asking me to read that caption.
With that background... Tonight was "The Great Escape III." A new ministry at church to allow parents with young children to have a couple of hours free to reconnect with one another. Rick and I took advantage of it and had a date with just baby Abigayle in tow.
When I was getting my children put back together to take home... Lucas whispered and motioned for me to come close. "Momma! That lady has worms in her belly!" he said pointing at a VERY pregnant lady who'd helped watch the children for the evening. I motioned for Lucas to remain quiet and after the door was closed I proceeded to tell him how there was a baby in her belly and that belly buttons can turn inside out without worms being present.

2 comments:

JeneƩ said...

LOL Glad he at least told you so you could explain. :)

Shana said...

I laughed so hard. You are lucky he whispered!