Tuesday, January 31, 2012

God to the Rescue ... Again

Mondays bespeak busyness in the Drake household- errands rushed through before violin lesson (which ran late) and a few more tacked on afterwards. Then home to feed my ravenous and cranky children.
 Lunch finished the sun beckoned us to venture out before the clouds finished coming in from the west.
 Tired little Abigayle began melting down on the way home.
Starting a pot of beans and setting a timer, Abigayle and I headed for a much needed nap.When the timer went off I carefully ( I thought) explained to Lucas how to turn the beans off.  He heard "turn off the timer". Ignoring the nagging uneasiness of needing to check to see if the task was completed I slipped into dream land for maybe 10 min. An acrid smell pulled me back from unconsciousness. Bleary eyed,  I roused myself and my baby.  Stumbling from my room I walked into a wall of smoke stretching from floor to ceiling, billowing from a very dry pan of beans charring on high.
Rushing to turn it off, put water in it, and slamming a lid on the mess, I turned on a fan and opened a few windows drug my exhausted body back to bed. Abigayle rudely awakened cried. The smoke alarm  screeched its announcement of a smoke filled house.
My head pounding, I turned on more fans and opened the door. Oh, I so wanted to go back to bed. But not with the ensuing chaos.
With the clearing of the smoke my headache dissipated and the fire alarms ceased its wails. Pulling myself together I scooped my crying child into my lap and cuddled her. Peace.
My sweet husband was kind enough to pick up a pizza for us. Lucas had the task of removing the charred beans to the compost pile. I have the fun tomorrow of picking out a new pan to replace my one and only pot that is beyond repair.
I'm grateful for God's protection but feeling a bit foolish to have gotten into that situation to begin with.

0 comments: