Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Emberley May Drake

July 16th started with a possible leaking water bag. My midwife was in town having assisted in delivering a baby, so she stopped by to check at about 11. No it wasn't leaking. I was crushed. So ready to be done.
She left me a homeopathic to try to start labor. This only would work if my body was ready. I was
 to try a dose every half an hour for a total of 4 doses. 3 Doses later nothing had happened. Taking the 4th dose I started making my kids lunch. Whamoo! Contractions started about 3 min apart. Quite interesting to try to breathe through them while fixing lunch.. I started timing them at 12:52.

About 1:00 I called my friend Amber to come over. She occupied my kids cleaning the house while I dealt with contractions. I messaged Rick. He arrivied by about 2:30ish. Just in time for transition and needed counter-pressure on my back. It was wonderful to finally have him involved.

Lucas helping to fill the birth pool.

When Shannon arrived, I was in transition and about 6 cm dilated. Oddly enough, about 2 contractions later, while in the pool I felt my cervix expand. I asked her to check. Yes, I was at an 8. She called her assistant in Tri-cities. Then decided there was no way Marcile would make it. So Amber stepped in as birth assistant, photographer, and kid occupier.

At 9 cm I asked Shannon to break my water. 20 min later ( 3:53PM) she told me to pick up my baby. What a sticky little baby she was. "Go get the kids! I exclaimed ( I was told I only pushed for 10 min. My hat is off to you ladies who do it for several hours. OUCH!)

She's of minutes old here. 

Check out that vernix!

Abigayle is absolutely in love with her baby.

Daddy's first chance at holding his 3rd daughter ( 4th child).

Amber got a chance too.

All my children together.

Daddy cut the cord long in the tub. Lucas got to cut the cord to shorten it.

 My heaviest baby, 7 lbs 10 oz.

 19 1/2 inches long.

What every baby loves to do. Nurse!

I took a little bit of time the next morning to get a couple of cute cleaned up shots of her.

Baby princess.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

awww, thanks for sharing. You almost make me want another one... haha! But, what a difference a home water birth makes. I would NEVER go back (unless forced to, of course!) Congratulations to you and your family :-)

Cas said...

She is precious. Thanks for sharing, and blessings to your lovely family!!! :)

montanasnowbaby said...

What beautiful pictures. So fun for your other 3 kids to be able to be such a part of the process. I love the one of Lucas cutting the cord!! And I love the one of Rick and Emberley looking adoringly at each other. Congratulations, Mama x 4!!

Wendy said...

So, so precious!! Beautiful pictures, too! I just loved reading & seeing your birth story. Brought tears to my eyes! Welcome to Emberley & Congrats to you & your family!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel, what a beautiful pictoral story and what an incredible experience for the whole family! I had tears streaming down my face as I scrolled through your story. How cool it was for Lucas to get to cut the cord for his baby sister. I bet he will remember that for the rest of his life. So is Abigayle Emberley's special protector and mama?
Thank you so much for sharing the story of Emberleys birth with us. ac