Sunday, August 23, 2009

Crackers "peanut butter" and bugs.

Jubilee Lake, ahhh. Escape from the dry valley to the lush mountains. What a restful way to spend Sabbath. Add a campfire, hot dogs and smores and you've got a great ending to a wonderful Sabbath day.
This week WAS NOT going to be a repeat of last week there. Armed with water, crackers, and jackets we set out.
Lucas discovered last time that there is a great echo over the lake. His "HEY! hey hey" resounded over and over across the waters.
The huckleberries weren't nearly as plentiful this week. What we found was delicious.
The week, Lucas had his "motorcycle" ( peddle less bicycle), which certainly helped to speed our way.
Just over half way, Abrianna started to fuss, quickly escalating to wailing. No food or water sufficed to pacify her. Maybe she was simply bored. Answer: poopy diaper and the closet available relief was on the OTHER side of the lake. Last week I had diapers and wipes. This week I THOUGHT I was so prepared. Oh well...
Scooping her into my arms, we hurried as fast as we could, taking turns pushing the stroller. During my turn, I accidentally ran over a dog pile.
At the end of the trail, we came across a HUGE group of Adventists, having a picnic. Low and behold, Rick spotted a classmate of OA that he hasn't seen in 10+ years, Richard Thomas.
Excusing myself, I took Abrianna and headed to the car for the much needed change. Rick enjoyed catching up, while the kids snacked on animal crackers and played. Abrianna saw where I'd gotten her crackers from and squatted down behind the stroller with more crackers in mind when she saw the "peanut butter."
Scooping it off the tire and into her mouth, she immediately started, gagging, crying, and drooling. EWWWWW! Grabbing a roll of toilet paper out the stroller I attempted to swab out her mouth, sanitize around it and on her hands, dab the "peanut butter" off of her jacket, finishing with giving her water to rinse out her mouth. YUCKY!!! You might've guessed that the "peanut butter" was the dog pile I'd run over an hour earlier.
Eventually, much later, we found a campfire spot and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. All and all a pleasant day.
Sunday morning, we purposed to work in the front yard for an hour. Rick and Lucas trimmed rose bushes and weedeated the yard. Abrianna helped me pull weeds. All of a sudden she spotted a rolly polly bug. Cute. She DID NOT share my sentiments. Cries of terror and small hands tightly gripped me as her little feet desperately attempted to climb on me and get away from that bug!
I've always assumed that fear of bugs was a learned not inborn thing. I guess I was wrong. Any ideas anyone, beyond just showing her they aren't anything to be afraid of??

4 comments:

Leilani said...

Ewwwww! HAhaha. No idea about the bugs, sorry!

Anonymous said...

THAT is just nasty!

So, she'll eat poo but not touch bugs.

:D

~Jen

Anonymous said...

on a continuance of the last note, I can't stop smiling about this story. Can't wait til she's older so we can tell her boyfriend!!!

~Jen

Anonymous said...

Puke! Ugh! Poor little girly! All I know about the bugs is to show her by consistant example. Hah! My brother was more grossed out by bugs and snakes and such than I was as a child. We went fishing with Grandpa Joe a couple times and Richard had me put the worms on the hook because he didn't want to touch them. grin sl