Monday, January 17, 2011

On dogs and walks

Warmer January temperatures beckoned for me to bundle up my brood and venture out to trek the snow-free trail.
With Abigayle in the backpack, Lucas astride his bike, and Abrianna in the stroller we sallied forth.
Fresh air! Different scenery! The break from the monotony of cabin fever. Who could resist?
Lucas and girls content, I took the opportunity to chat with my Grandma in Tennessee on the walk.
Half-way though the walk we had an unexpected and uninvited guest... a collarless female pit bull. She seemed friendly enough. But Jasper ( my German Shepherd) is NOT friendly to strange dogs.
She trotted on past us. Then my son had the bright idea of racing this strange dog. NOT COOL!
I hollered at him to come back. Unfortunately the dog thought I was calling her. So back she came with Lucas.
Hmmm.... What to do? Jasper was raising his hackles and barking. I had my baby in the back pack and Abrianna in the stroller. I was honestly afraid that a dog fight would occur with my girls in the center. How to fix this?
"Lucas, put your bike down and start pushing the stroller home please!" Reluctantly he complied. When they were a ways out of the way down the trail headed home, I asked him to call Jasper. They both obeyed. So I picked up Lucas' bike and made my way towards home. Jasper took matters in his paws and lit out after that dog chasing her back across the road and towards the golf course.
Did I mention I made many frantic calls to home hoping that Rick would pick up the phone and come rescue us? This all happened to have occurred when he was down town.
He was back home by the time we arrived. Needless to say, it was quite awhile till my heart rate returned to normal.
I'm grateful to God for his protection and that the dogs didn't fight with me and the girls in the center.

2 comments:

Shana said...

I am glad nothing bad came of this, loose dogs are never fun to deal with! Where was her owner?

Rachel said...

Shana,
The dog was unattended. Out for a walk by herself without an owner in sight.