Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Hard Lesson.

I was chatting with my mom on the phone, when Lucas stumbled into the the house wailing, "I killed a bird!"
Quickly ending the conversation with my mom, I walked out to survey the situation. He led me to the corner and next to the dirt sifter was the small crushed body.
He had found the bird eating Jasper's food and caught it. Escaping from him, it tried to hide in the corner. He tried moving things to reach it and inadvertently crushing it.
"Momma! Was it a girl or a boy? Did it have babies? Do I need to find them?", he sobbed. I explained to him that fortunately it was past time for little baby birds and more than likely there wouldn't be a family left motherless. We wrapped the minute body in a paper towel and Lucas buried it.
 I tried to explain that someday in Heaven we won't have death and that it was an accident and not his fault and next time he needed to be more careful. Where are the books that should prepare me for dealing with this? I wish I just naturally had more wisdom for such situations.

0 comments: