Tuesday, April 7, 2009

To catch up

Well, we're home safe and sound. After trying an alternate route through Nevada, we determined that our usual route on 97 through Oregon is still the fastest even though the speed limit is slower.
We went to warmer sunnier California not only to visit my immediate family but my extended family as well. My grandparents were visiting from Tennessee. Since we don't make it all the way back there, this is the only time we'd be able to see them until... who knows when?
Here are a excerpts to share.
I took my kids to see my brother's mother-in-laws chickens ( She has about 40 or them) . "Cockle doodle doo" crowed the rooster. To which my excited almost three- year-old boy exclaimed, "the chicken is barking, momma!" I asked, " Is it barking or crowing?" "It's barking!" he replied. I thought he knew the barking belonged to the dogs :-)
Wednesday we took my grandparents to Sacramento to catch their flight back home. We being my mom, best friend/sister-in-law Genni, her baby Seth, myself and Abrianna. A day to go shopping.
We dropped Grandpa and Grandma off at the airport at about 8:45. Norstrom Racks was our first destination. It doesn't open at until 10 and we arrived at 9:00. No problem. Baby's R Us was open and I needed to get organic diapers for my very sensitive skinned little girl. Here in Walla Walla I paid $15.00 for a pack of 35 diapers! And that was the sale price!
I had several coupons and there was a special on the brand at Baby's R Us. I got 3 packs of diapers and paid $29.00 !! Big savings.
Next we made our way to Bed Bath and Beyond. I found a couple of little pans for the kids to bake their own little cakes in and an adjustable measuring spoon to replace my very worn ones.
Abrianna decided she simply couldn't wait a minute longer to nurse. I swiped the keys from my mom and headed out to the van after being offered the option of nursing my baby in the bathroom, YUCK!
Abrianna nursed for awhile and then spying a water bottle decided that look more appetizing. While she played with it, I changed her diapers. I felt a very warm sensation and thought, "strange that water is very warm." Oh, if it had been only water! My daughter managed to pee on me. Not just on me but directly in a place to make me look as if I'd wet my pants. My pants were wet, but not by me!
What a way to have to look to go into a ritzy store. Norstrom Racks was our next stop. I kept my head up and tried to pretend I didn't feel conspicuous! Who thinks of taking an extra set of clothes for mommy?
Next was JC Penney's. Seth and Abrianna were both ready for some nursing and wiggle time. Gen and I stayed in the car while my mom enjoyed the store alone.
Our delicious lunch was at Macaroni Grill. We choose a corner table. Abrianna toddled around on the floor. Our last stop was Trader Joe's. I got Lucas a whole container of animal crackers for our trip home (His last container was snarfed down by a hungry uncle).
It's amazing to me how exhausting a shopping trip can be!
We went shopping another day, did an Easter egg hunt, and made a trek to the Natural Bridges.
Will try to write more later and post some pictures.

4 comments:

Shana said...

Quite the adventurous day. Glad you could get a good deal on the diapers. That is always nice. As for the animal crackers, Matt loves them too :)

Ingrid said...

They offered the bathroom for you to use to nurse?!? I would have plopped my butt in the middle of the aisle and nursed Kirsten right there, bathrooms are disgusting and full of bacteria, are they stupid? that's irritating...

Rachel said...

Yes, it was gross. I don't think people who've never nursed a baby even think about it.

Anonymous said...

Wet pants! I roared when I read your wet pants story! What a hoot! Fine for ME laugh when it didn't happen to me. grin ac