Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Weaning

I've been debating whether to post this or not. I think the story is worth telling but I think that some people may be offended with too much information. If that is you... Please stop reading.

Several days ago, while nursing Abrianna, I noticed thrush inside her upper lip. Again!
Last summer, we went through trying to get rid of thrush with I think 3 different medications, and 4-6 weeks of treatments. We finally figured out that I was passing back to her. So the solution was Diflucan for me- a internal yeast treatment. It worked like a charm.
Seeing the thrush this time caused pieces of the puzzle to fall into place. When I was nursing Lucas at this stage of my pregnancy, it didn't hurt. I've been in a lot of pain the past few weeks with nursing. I thought it was just time to wean. No, that wasn't it after all. It's yeast.
Digging out the gentian violet, I applied to Abrianna's mouth then painted the entire nipple area on myself.
Gentian violet is a very bright Vikings purple and stains whatever it touches. Abrianna was visibly upset that I'd painted myself.
Later on that evening, she was begging to nurse and go to sleep. Okay, no big deal. So off we went to bed. She took one look at me and wailed, "NooOOOoo!"
Alrighty then, I flipped off the light and switched her to the other side. Same response. Okay. We'll just cuddle till she goes to sleep.
During the middle of the night she eagerly nursed while sleeping. Once awake in the morning though, I asked if she wanted to nurse, "no!"
I tried periodically throughout the day. Always the same response. In fact, at nap time she wanted to lay down by herself and not even be rocked to sleep. What happened to my baby? Where did she go so suddenly? I'm sad. I know that our little ones grow up. Sometimes in a hurry too.
Last night was a repeat of the night before. She nursed in her sleep but otherwise refuses to nurse at all. I'm thankful that my milk supply has been dwindling due to my pregnancy and I don't have engorgement problems.
This is not how envisioned weaning to happen with my little girl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, that's not too much information. Perhaps you are feeling a bit rejected because of her reaction to your purpleness, so it would be a natural emotional response. Later, it will be a funny joke when she gets to be a bit older :D.

A. Jen

sir lafalot said...

No, not too much info.
Weaning is always a little sad, no matter how it happens.
I didn't experience the cold turkey thing. That would have made it even harder. ac

Lisa said...

Weaning is such an emotional transition at any point in time, but add to it not feeling ready and being pregnant to boot, and it's that much more difficult. It changes and redefines the relationship with that child. I cried for days when Elayna weaned under less than ideal circumstances. Hang in there!