Friday, June 1, 2018

Stories

 Caleb at age three still sleeps with me. I keep a water cup on the head board for him for during the night. He woke up asking for water. I reached for what I thought was the honey bear filled with water. He spit and sputtered pushing it away and demanding," I want water!" Only then did I realize that it was Astroglide. Poor kid.

Lucas -age 12 -feels like he knows everything.  He was being a punk while I was cutting with my bread knife. I shook it at him like a warning finger. He snarkily replied, " You are threatening me with a knife! I am gonna call 911!", proceeding to pick up the land line, turn it on, and dialing a number that was close to 911. Here I must insert that he didn't realize that it wasn't a cell phone he was calling on and it would dial without hitting a send button. 
I warned that if you dial any number close to 911 that it will call 911. Immediately the phone rang, "This is the Walla Walla police department. We just had a 911 hang up call from this number. Is there a problem?" Stifling my laughter I asked the officer if he would talk to Lucas and explain the gravity of what he had done. My son was mortified.
A little while later, I was laughing about the situation to Rick as we were walking when we noticed a police car driving towards us. Not only had 911 called back but they sent out an officer to double check. He talked to Lucas at the house then drove out to double check that what Lucas said about mom and dad walking was true.
Oh, if Lucas thought he was embarrassed before now he was to the point of tears, begging me not to EVER tell anyone about what he did. I doubt this will ever happen again.

Abrianna had a progress evaluation test scheduled for Friday at 1:30. At 12:30 we climbed into the Yaris and I backed off the cement pad. I was sure I had drug Caleb's dump truck under the car. I stopped, climbed out, and looked under the car. Nothing. Back into the car again. Oh, it sounded awful! I turned off the radio. Making it to the end of the garage I stopped again and asked Abrianna to get out with me and look. Low and behold there was a flat passenger tire.
As I walked into the house to tell Rick, Abby yelled, "Mom! The back one is flat too!" What? Two flats on the same side?
I unloaded the car, placed things into the van and turned the key. Click... Ok... So Rick's fix to keep the battery from running down obviously didn't work. Guess we weren't going to the appointment today after all.
I  called vision therapy to tell them about the vehicular troubles and to reschedule. Then I called Roadside Assistance to get a tow truck on the way. ( Did I ever say how much I appreciate Roadside Assistance??? This is the second time I have had them out in the last 6 months to pick up a car from my house.)
Abrianna and I rode with the driver to Les Schwab where the car ended up needing all new tires. When I asked to see what ruined side walls looked like the technician picked up one of the tires and a cup of rubber powder fell out. Okay then...
Paying for the car, Abrianna climbed into the front passenger side seat and we crossed the road to pick up our groceries from Wal-mart. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door to see a police officer beside me his car parked behind me with flashing lights. He asked how old my daughter was and then for my registration and drivers licence. What? a fine on top of the new tires and vehicle troubles??? I burst into tears as I fumbled for the correct paper work. I didn't get a ticket. I got a warning and a brochure about WA state laws for children in cars. I am grateful for no ticket.  The officer did tell me that they were running a special emphasis day on kids in the front seats of cars today. Looking around I saw multiple police cars and unmarked ones as well. I suppose my older kids aren't going to fight anymore over who gets the front seat since they are both under 13.

0 comments: