Friday, May 22, 2009

As life passes by...

Life seems to fly by in a blur. I thought that as we age life seems speeds up. Now I've come to the conclusion there are more and more things to keep us busy and that's the reason for life accelerating up to death defying speeds.
I believe this is particularly true when one has small children in the home. My hat is off to any and all parents of multiples. Taking care of my own two little ones now seems like a piece of cake compared to throwing a very congenial 3 month old into the mix. Josephine is and of herself isn't difficult to take care, especially since she's been switched to a formula that doesn't upset her tummy so. It just when my little munchkins ages are 3, 13 months, and 3 months they simply keep me on my toes. Someone needs a diaper change or bottom wiped or clothes changed or a bath or breast feeding or a snack or a bottle ALL THE TIME! That is where the majority of my time is spent.

I'm very grateful for the gorgeous weather of late. This has slowed my days down a bit and decreased stress at the same time. We had - until today when the poor thing burst open- a lovely sprinkler ring ( thanks Laura) that Lucas received as a birthday gift last year. It has provided hours of cheap entertainment for the older two. We can turn it on low, where there is only about an 8 inch high spray. This isn't quite as wasteful with water and low enough Abrianna can drink out of it and splash without being afraid. Toss in a couple of plastic cups and the watering can it we easily have an hours worth of entertainment. They both play so nicely with that sprinkler.
Josephine happily resides in the bouncy seat while I either read, or pull weeds, or water the garden. The added bonus here is that my kids are worn out and ready for naps while my house didn't have two little tornadoes swirling through leaving much in a disarray.

Speaking of disarray... I'm doing much better with keeping up on my house as a whole. Several simply rules, such as you may not get out another set of toys until you pick up the ones you are playing with, and we pick up toys in the living room and bed room as part of the bedtime routine has helped tremendously. Couple that with my ruthless de-junking efforts and pay off is some reasonably nice results. Persistence is the key in this endeavor. I just need to keep plugging away at it.

On managing three while out and about...
I know I've posted my adventures to gymnastics. I've since remedied that situation by holding Josephine, if she's awake and needing it, with having Abrianna seated between my feet while I verbally direct Lucas.
Lucas obeys relatively well after summarily being taken out of class early by his mommy for repeated disobedience. He screamed and shrieked for a good 10-15 minutes after that. Now all it takes is the threat of having to leave to bring him back into line. (Sometimes I believe the shock of a discipline that was unexpected pays off big dividends later.)
A question for all you other moms... How can you reasonably enforce what you say to your older child when your arms are full of two squirming babies? Lucas has been very beligerent of late and I'm frustrated.
Just before Tacos this evening, I yelled I'd had enough and stormed out into the back yard for a mommy time out. Thankfully Rick talked to Lucas and got every thing done and the kids ready to go. Otherwise we woudn't have gone. I was prepared to spend a VERY long time out there simmering down and praying myself through my horrible frustrations and feeling like what I do is a hopeless cause!
Enough of my ramblings... Hope it wasn't too boring. This has been my life this week. There have been several funny things. Like when Rick was up in Spokane for his test and had called to visit. Lucas came trooping in to the living room telling me this is what he was having for supper. He had gotten into the fridge and filled and entire 8 oz. mug full of KETCHUP! to the brim!
I was able to salavage most of it. He settled for two slices of bread smeared in the stuff. My life isn't all hardship.

4 comments:

Laura said...

You didn't seem frustrated at all at tacos last night! Good job cooling off and thanks to Rick for his help! :) You're doing fabulous with three kids. Glad simplifying is helping you stay sane. Funny ketchup story!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds intense, Rachel! Hearing what you have to say makes me remember all those years mom reminded me to "NEVER, EVER have 3 children close together in age!".

Yeah.

:D
Jen

Shana said...

Enforcement? I am struggling with that myself these days. Good job on the de-junking!

Anonymous said...

UPDATE!

~Jen