Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Brutal Honesty and Fat Tummies

One of the greatest assets and one of the largest liabilities is honesty. Brutal, direct honesty.

I've heard other moms talk about their little ones saying true but embarrassing things. Lucas has done that a time or two. Today, I was the recipient.

I caught him on the floor hacking away at the chubby belly of a baby doll. When I asked what he was doing he told me was trying to cut off its fat tummy. "Why is his tummy fat?" he queried.
"Well, babies are supposed to have fat tummies." So through the family we went categorizing fat of skinny. Lucas' tummy was skinny, daddy's tummy was skinny, Abrianna's was fat. "That's right, because she's a baby." I agreed.

I should have known better than to ask, but something sick within me prompted me to see how I was categorized- don't ever do this when you have a roll protruding from beneath your shirt which your 15 month old pulled up trying to get at some 'nursers.' "Your tummy is fat. Mommies and baby all have fat tummies!"

Uh oh! I've known for awhile that I needed to lay off the sweets. My stomach is simply sloppy and pudgy not protruding per say. I was careful with what I ate the remainder of the day. No dessert!
I can't wait till I have peeled of a couple of pounds of pudge from my waist line!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post had me going for a second, thinking Lucas might next be found carving Abrianna!!! AHHHHHHHH! Bad mental image, but that's what I thought was coming next.

Shoot, Rachel, you aren't fat. Neither am I. But I've been bummed about my extra luggage and the junk in the trunk as you well know. Sometimes, it's more a matter of loving our extras than hating them. Chris tells me, "You are no spring chicken!" but at least follows up with "but I'm ok with that, and I adore you." So that makes it O.K. I s'pose! haha! I always laugh at that guy. He says the wrong things at the wrong time all the time, and has no clue he's said anything out of the ordinary!!!

I've seen sexy women who are rather heavier than me, but it's the way they carry themselves and you can just FEEL they love themselves. I've been thinking about this for awhile, and trying to do the same (although I mostly fail, it is the goal I reach for!).

You are beautiful, and you are normal. There's not a one of us on this blog who would say, "wow, my stomach is like a ROCK and I've got those buns of STEEL!"

We all have our body insecurities. Once, your dad told me it didn't matter that he was talking to a farmer or a Congressman, because he always remembered that no matter what, everyone puts their pants on the same way. So we're all equal, those who are skinny and hate their nose and those of us who've got hips and an extra stomach roll and hate them both.

Besides, I think you are terribly cute and pretty, and somehow I imagine that brother of mine agrees!!!!

xoxoxoxox
Jen

Anonymous said...

I'm back! Thanks Rachel!
So, talking of body rolls and pudges,my grandma Drake,God rest her soul, bequeathed to me her thunder thighs and big butt. But, not THAT butt, but, this but. But my sweet little daughter Dorkis told me a few days ago, "Mama you have some SERIOUS curves!" Ben and Dorkis were here in Maine a few days ago.So to all of us who have been bestowed with SERIOUS curves, celabrate! We are women after all and why not celebrate what HE has given us, SERIOUS CURVES. GRIN

Lisa said...

Lol! I can definitely identify here! :)