Thursday, February 3, 2011

Life and change

Winter and cabin fever seem synonymous. My children's boundless energy and my boredom with routine combined with my guilt for setting healthy boundaries has been affecting my kindness to my children.

I had been allowing my sweet children to pile in bed, salving my guilt for not filling their little love cups enough during the day or for being grumpy/short with them.
I had also been leaving their food on the table for hours, in case they got hungry before the next meal or bed.

Rick firmly told me that both things needed to change. He was right. Thank God, I listened.

When meal times are over, food is put away, and the table cleaned off in a timely manner.

Rick's been backing me up in the middle of the night when a little "sneaker" tries to join us in bed. They are redirected to the sleeping bag on the floor. I'm so much more rested. I'm waking up rested. I'm enjoying my children again.

About a month ago, I started working through, "How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" with Lucas to relieve some of the cabin fever. Some days were better than others until the past few days. His little brain "clicked" the past few days. He's totally exploring reading with sentences like, "Sam is mad at me." I look forward to teaching him each morning as we rocket through the lessons. My precious little baby boy is no longer a baby. He's a BOY! and growing up so quickly.

Speaking of growing up, today Abigayle mentally stomped her little foot and said, "by golly! I'm gonna stand!" She cried, grunted and pulled to standing on any and everything with her vice like grip, letting go and balancing briefly several times.

She'll be walking before I know it. I thought she'd be slower than her big brother and sister. She seems to have set out to prove me wrong. You go GIRL!

Alas, I've run out of inspiration. I'll grind to a halt. Have a good evening all.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I have your walking thingy -- I need to get it to you ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Hia there SIL! I quit my job/was forced to quit my job yesterday, so I am back and catching up on your life :).

Keep up the courage! You are a fabulous mom, and while we all struggle, we can always find laughter in our day. I'm glad to hear Lucas is rocking the reading! That will open up imagination and doors to him.

xo
Jen