Friday, July 1, 2011

An Evil Frog ( er, toad).

Sitting in my chair on the sunshiny hill overlooking the Columbia River at Roosevelt Park nursing my baby as the wind whipped by, I hear a terrified shriek, followed by my 5-year old son vaulting into my lap hysterically exclaiming about an evil frog hidden in his dirt pile.
I figure he's describing a toad. I ask Rick to go, pick it up, and introduce it to our children. Mass panic ensues as our oldest two children try to scale to the top of me and away from that evil frog ( in daddy's hands) that might devour them at any second.
"Look Lucas and Abrianna. Isn't it cute? It's like your Toad Makes A Road Book. It won't hurt you." Gradually shrieks give way to curiosity and finally cautious giggles- as long as Mr. Toad doesn't come too close. Lucas is fascinated with the fact that toads pee on you as a means of escape.

0 comments: