Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Best of Intentions.

After almost 2 weeks, our bathroom remodel was drawing to a close. I needed to buy a couple of light fixtures from Home Depot. But I also wanted to make sure I got a walk in before we went shopping, which we did.
Arriving back at the house, I loaded the girls directly in the van. I turned to head into the house and Lucas brightly handed me my keys and told me he'd locked the house.
My stomach sank and I asked with fear and trepidation, " Did you lock the door handle?" "Uh huh!" he replied.  "Did you really???" I begged hoping against hope that he hadn't. "Yes!" he insisted a bit uncertainly.
I walked to the door and tried the knob. It didn't turn. We walked around the house, trying doors and windows. All locked tight. We tried to jimmy a few open. Didn't work.
I called my ever faithful next door neighbor, Elizabeth to ask to borrow her phone book to call a lock smith. Nobody could come very soon. It was cold. Our food and my purse were inside the house.
The only course of action that made sense for me was to load everybody into the van and drive to Rick's office to get the one and only key that fit the knob.
Walking next door to return the phone book,  Elizabeth came to the rescue again. She loaded us up with pretzels, apples, oranges, and peanut butter for our lunch.
At Energy Solutions, the older two kids got to see daddy's office and use the restroom while I waited for them in the van as Abigayle took a much needed nap.
Then back home. 2 1/2 hour trip round trip and we were back IN the house.
 I flopped on the couch for a couple of hours to muster together enough energy to take my little ones to Home Depot for those light fixtures. We found a wonderful one that fit the bill.
I never did yell at Lucas. He meant to be helpful. But whew! What a day.

0 comments: