Monday, February 1, 2010

Quiet

Peace and quiet fill my home. Both of my blessing are tucked into bed and quiet- one is sleeping already. My husband is relaxing outside in the hot tub. Dishes are done, a load of laundry is washing in the machine.
I'm sitting here relishing in the peace. I've learned to appreciate quiet much more since becoming a mother. Don't get me wrong, I love my children. But sometimes it's so nice to just be and not be needed or wanted, to recuperate.
When these times come, I regroup. I'm a much calmer wife and mother. This is so important for me right now. I'm having a hard time these past few days being calm and sane.
Normally an even keeled woman, these mid to late pregnancy hormones combined with 4 nights of very interrupted sleep have thrown me for a loop.
My poor children, Lucas in particular, bore the brunt of that yesterday. The phone not working properly- frustrating Internet!- when I HAD the need to air my grumpies to my mom was the last straw.
It took every ounce of my strength to not hurl the phone down. Instead I burst into tears and ran sobbing to my room, flinging myself on the bed. Rick came and let me just cry on his shoulder.
Poor Lucas, attempted to come in too. I shouted at him to get out. That is so out of character for me to talk to any of my children like that. He then burst into tears. Daddy went out to comfort him and let me regroup for awhile.
Today is better.
What is the purpose of this posting? I'm not really sure. I suppose it's more of a journal entry than a normal post. I'm going to go and tuck my tired body into bed.
Wishing you all a restful night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

honest emotions and recounting of a true day is much more appreciated than bland "happy happy happy" cover-ups which congeal life into a dishonest dissertation.

What you recount is sheer honesty that I'm sure will resonate with every single reader out there, mother or not -- it makes you more human and therefore easier to relate to.

I loved this post, because I felt the emotions behind it and like I was able to connect with you because of such honesty.

Thanks for the updates, Rachel!

Your Faithful Reader,
Jen

Anonymous said...

I love the postings, but your journal entries I find are more "human interest" aka, more brutally honest and therefore a deeper more profound read.

I understand the desire for quiet and peace. Those rare moments where you really soak up the solitude is a profound experience with yourself and sometimes with the Divine and helps center the core to face a new day of challenges.

Much love,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hey little mother! I have not read your posts since I came to Idaho. Life has been crazy!
I just read your latest post. I relate so well to those day's with little ones and the everyday challenges that go with it.
Hang in there sweet girl! Our hearts and prayers are with you. ac