Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Spiders!!!

About a week ago, I was filling the tub for bath time. Unbeknown est to me a spider was about to meet his demise.
My children, in the tub, spotted the drowning bug. Shrieking in terror they scrambled pell mell out the the tub.
I scooped the poor dead thing out and threw it in the sink. It took a few minutes to convince them that it was not going to share the rest of their bath.
You'd think that was the end of the incidence. Alas, it is not! Abrianna has the memory of an elephant. Ever since that fateful day, at the mention of bath time, she erupts into tears. She respects me enough to obey albeit reluctantly and will stay in the bath tub until I give her the okay to get out. But she cries the entire bath.
Lucas hasn't helped matters by declaring there are spiders in there- just to make her cry!! GRRRR!
I've tried talking to her, distracting her, and singing to her. The singing helps some. Do any of the rest of you moms have great ideas on how to help her overcome this new fear and return to enjoying her baths?
All advice welcome!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sorry Rachel -- I don't have any advice...but I'm still laughing. That Lucas -- he makes things harder for her, doesn't he? Gotta be the big brother... hehe

Shana said...

Do you let her inspect the tub before filling it? Can you give her a bath separately while Lucas is doing something else so he can't make things worse for her? Poor gal, I can relate, I hate spiders too.