Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Greely Hill, CA

The Sunday before we left, my dad convinced me to come riding ATV's with him. I haven't done that in a year! True to fashion, the men picked a trail they would have to conquer.

Just before this 10 foot cliff/bank we came down a really steep hill. I WAS NOT going to drive down that. My older brother Jeremy, knowing I wouldn't want too, came to the rescue and took the Kawasaki down for me. There were ruts over 2 feet deep on the trail!

I walked down. There was my dad in his "Grandpa-mobile" easing over those ruts. Now to clarify, he and my mom had my youngest brother Mitch, nephew Jadon, and my kids with them strapped into the seats. My brother Kyle, brother-in-law Peter, and I were standing around it. The angle was bad and it started to tip over with my babies in it!

All three of us grabbed a hold, preventing it from tipping over. We unloaded the kids. Mom and I helped/dragged them up that steep muddy bank. Then came the fun part- for the guys- conquering the hill. The Grandpa-Mobile winched itself up without mishap. But, just at the top it was a little off camber, tipping it into tree branches resulting in multiple cracks in the windshield.
Then each bike was driven up as far as possible. The brakes jammed on and a strap attached to the front. With much spinning of tires, pushing and grunting it would inch its was to the top. Then repeat process.
Rick wanted the challenge of riding his motorcycle up the hill. Throttling up, he went for it. Didn't make it. The back tire slid out and the bike came to an abrupt halt.
I was over watching the 4-wheelers being drug up the hill. I heard my mom gasping as the bike went down and my heart accelerated! Whew! Fortunately all turned out well.
The above pictures show this adventure.
ENJOY :-)


4 comments:

Laura said...

Yikes, that sounds more than risky!! Crazy!! Glad your family is all safe and sound. :)

Sweet Onion said...

Andersons = still crazy as ever!!!

~Jen

Shana said...

Scary stuff, glad you all made it out ok.

Anonymous said...

Madness! But looks like fun!
Have sorely missed your posts.
sl