Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My long day



Sometimes as a stay at home mommy you wonder,
" What do I have to show for my day's labors?" Clean children? Not today. Lucas was in his jammies all day. As my day winds to a close he is just now in the tub and clean!
My long day really began last night. Against my better judgment, I put Lucas to bed in underwear. He'd had a drink awhile before bedtime but it hadn't made it through his system yet. At 1:00 AM, Lucas wanted in bed with us. I thought, "I'd better take him to the bathroom." Which I did. He did use it, but was already wet from shoulder to toes. I thought it would be easier just to put him in dry clothes and deal with the mess in the morning. Hah! If I were to do it over, I'd have cleaned up his bed last night and put him back into it!
The remainder of the night was spent wedged between my children with my husband grumbling periodically about HIM being crowded. He had half the bed to himself!

I did get to "sleep in" until 7:20. My darling daughter loves to wake up early and coo to me.
After rising, I gave Abrianna a bath. She didn't get one the night before. Lucas should have followed suit. But I felt my need for a walk was greater than his need for a bath.
Both children enjoyed our walk. I love my walk- for sanity sake. Lucas was wearing his footed doggy jammies.
I told Lucas he'd have to ride in the stroller if he continued to leave the trial. Normally this isn't a problem. Today though, he kept getting stickers in his feet. (I kept thinking about how that is like us in our relationship with God. He tells us no to things knowing what pain we'll endure if we choose to disobey.)

As you know, potty training as been in the works for the past 10 days.
Lucas has been doing really well. There are several things that could stand improvement! First, that he stay in the bathroom when he poops!!
He's so excited he coming running out of the bathroom ( thank God for tile instead of that carpet) shouting that he pooped all by himself while leaving a trail of splats across my floor. Now he isn't continuing to poop. He just hasn't been wiped yet.

Secondly, its only appropriate to pee outside. He was running to the bathroom with his underwear around his ankles when he noticed that I was headed out the door with a pan of scraps for the garden. He quickly changed his course to join us. We'd gotten about 2 feet off the cement when he stopped. A look of concentration on his face. Before I realized what he was doing poop started plopping onto the ground. Jasper, who is always nearby, began to eat it. Yuck! Lucas must have agreed as he began yelling no and hitting at him. I don't know whether he connected or not. I decided the best thing I could do was get rid of the of the scraps so I'd have a free hand. I had Abrianna over my arm - she was in my arms ALL DAY due to teething and an upset tummy. Lucas was redirected to get his cars from the sand box ( the original reason for coming outside). Then we made our way to the hose were I attempted to spray off his bottom and legs. To no avail. Too much peanut butter. I finished wiping him of in the bathroom.

Later on the phone with my mom, she mentioned some coconut oatmeal cookies my grandma Florine used to make. It sounded good. The pictures are of Lucas and I making them while Abrianna rode on my hip. Daddy declared them good.

Otherwise my day was uneventful. :-) minus at least one burp bomb. I'm truly not complaining. As this day draws to a merciful end, I hold my finally sleeping baby on my shoulder while my son keeps whining for "he'p" with his train track. I'm thankful for my upcoming sleep. Hopefully tomorrow my back and clogged milk duct will have resolved too. Goodnight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I read portions of this post to Dad, and he couldn't stop laughing! First, about Rick hogging the bed, then Lucas pooping, and he broke down at the part of the peanut butter poop on his legs.

SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, you poor thing. but all of us in Arkansas are laughing, so thanks for sharing :).

~Jen

Anonymous said...

Bless your dear heart Rachel! What a hoot! It brought back memories. When I was potty training N. he pooped in the closet, got me, pointed to the brown little pile and shouted, "O! Gross!" :)
SL