Monday, January 4, 2010

Swimming Lessons

Lucas is a bit afraid of water- just like his momma. His daddy loves water. The solution? Swimming lessons at the YMCA. These are not mommy and me swimming lessons. Otherwise there is no way I could do it. Not with the girls in tow.
Today, the first day, was rainy and in the the 30's. He's been so excited about it that 3:00 seemed like an eternity to him. That changed to being a bit anxious on the trip there. "Momma, I don't like swimming lessons!" he declared "But Daddy loves swimming lessons, and you want to be like daddy right?" I replied.
When we arrived - the whole 5 minute drive from home- we all piled out of the van. Lucas walked while Jojo rode in the stroller, dutifully "pushed" by miss Abrianna.
Upon entering the building we were led to the pool area and pointed to the family changing room. We arrived in plenty of time, sitting by the pool a full 10 minutes before class was to begin at 3:30.
Lucas was the only one in his class for the first half.
I occupied myself outside the pool area with the other parents. I had a nice chat another mom, Jennifer.
Jojo's big brother Jamie was at the YMCA and stopped by to say hi to Jojo. About that time the lesson ended. It took a few minutes to strap Jojo into the stroller and hobble down to the dressing room.
No Lucas. A nice man offered to check and see if he was in the men's dressing room. I found him in the pool area with one of the teachers. She scolded me telling me I needed to be there to pick him up at 4:00.
Normally that wouldn't have bothered me. But not today. You see, every pregnancy at some point my back slips. It is so bad that I can't comfortably bend, sit, lay down. Picking up my children is torturous. I didn't dawdle to get my child. I'm not an irresponsible parent. I'm a pregnant in pain barely able to walk parent with two other children in tow. Abrianna isn't fast at walking. She is only 20 months old after all.
After getting Lucas to change and everybody into to jackets we made our way out into the chilly evening. Abrianna in and strapped, next Lucas, lastly Jojo. Stroller into the back. The short drive home was puntuated by wailing girls. Abrianna wanted "Wawa!" water. Jojo was starving.
We are home. Abrianna has had her water. Jojo her bottle. Lucas fed himself corn chex and milk which he generously offered to share with his momma - who was on the verge of tears.
I'm hoping my back cooperates better on Wednesday. I have an appointment at 4:30. That's the time I arrived home today. Whew! What an experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that just sounds painful. I was cramping this afternoon, feeling completely wasted in exhaustion and pain, and I just can't imagine having kids to take care of on top of all that.

Keep your chin up sister, and get some good sleep tonight! I'm also proud that you took Lucas to swimming lessons -- very important for him to learn!

xo
Jen

Shana said...

Such a trial for you. Sorry to hear it is so rough for you to attend with all the kidlets. It will be good for Lucas, so hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a marathon of an ordeal! Pox upon that insensitive instructor! You are a wonderful mother Rachel and don't you forget it. Sheesh!
sl