Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's day gone bad... ( not for the squeamish)



I've debated posting this picture. It's yucky. But it may help explain why I've had a difficult week.
To start with, Sundays are my catch up days. I only have 2 kids instead of 3. I madly clean and shop and cook. Then when Monday rolls around I may be lucky to get any of the above things done. I try to make sure every body is reasonably clean, fed, changed, played with, and read too. It's amazingly time consuming. (I used to think taking care of my two was a challenge. No more do I believe that. I know better now. It's a breeze for me to manage just my two children.)

On Father's Day I rolled out of bed bleary-eyed to begin making a wonderful breakfast of biscuits, gravy, orange juice, and potatoes.
There on the cutting board . in my way, lay a half of a loaf of dry stale bread. Needing to cube it for later usage in vegeburger loaf with glaze I grabbed my serrated knife and bent to the task. About 2/3 of the way through, as I pulled the knife towards me, I had the sickening sensation of the knife tearing through my flesh. Dropping the knife and pinching the wound shut, I yelled for Rick to come and help me. He came. But He couldn't do anything as I lay in a cold sweat on the living room floor, retching. Ughh. Nasty.
Beings we don't have health insurance just yet, I opted to stay home from ER and patch up my thumb as best as we could. The mistake I made was not pushing the wound together before it was glued. It's healing well but with a funny shape to it.
Most of the rest of the day I lay around babying my hand. I didn't realize that when you cut the tip of a digit half way off that your digit with shake and and your hand will throb and wrist throb in protest.
Today is Sabbath. It's been almost a week and I'm finally brave enough to attempt functioning without a bandage. I grateful that it IS healing.
I guess the moral of this story is, don't use sharp Cut co serrated knives when you aren't fully awake. It will be a most painful experience and foul up your possibilities of accomplishing much else for many days afterwards.
Hopefully tomorrow morning, I can make a delicious breakfast for my husband. Happy belated Father's Day honey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry. I'm glad it's healing. Love, Melody

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! Yikes! What an awful thing to happen. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I hope Daddy to took the kids in hand so that you could tend to the thumb. ac