Thursday, June 4, 2009

An Update

Whew! Where has the time gone? I can't believe its been almost 2 weeks since I've written anything on the blog. I suppose is simply lack of time in which I can use my hands.
When I'm seated at the computer it is with one or the other and sometimes both of the beautiful little girls in my lap, either feeding them or putting them down for naps.
It does provide a lot of time for reading as you may have noticed by how quickly my list of books I've recently read has grown.
I'll try to remember and post of the high lights and funny stories of the past several weeks. Hope my memory can conjure up some :)
Let's see...
The current Bible story for Sabbath school is the story of Daniel and the Lions' Den. Melissa does a wonderful job of making it very interactive for the little ones. The "den" is a large card board box. She tells about an angel telling the lions to "shut your mouths!".
We were the recipients of a large file cabinet box for Lucas'. He has a large stuffed lion that Rick bought him when he was all of a week or two old - he was also terrified of it at about 6-8 months old and would try to climb me to get away from it!
Lucas had his box and lion in the back yard. He was the angel, yelling "LIONS SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!" Monkey see monkey do I suppose. I'd rather he copy that then some other things.
One of Lucas' favorite phrases of late has been, "don't be afraid mommy!" It can be used in really funny ways. A week ago, he peed his bed three times in one day! Can you imagine that? One was during his nap. The other two were intentional. I asked a more experienced mom, Nicole Scruggs, what she would do. She said that she would talk to him and explain about it making a lot more work etc. Also make him lay in it, yuck! It didn't quite come down to that.
I had a heart to heart with Lucas at bedtime. And he responded, "Don't be afraid mommy. I won't do it again. Don't be afraid."
We had some excitement today as well. Lucas is 3 years old now. He can be responsible. I think I expect more out of him than what he's capable of sometimes.
I left Josephine and Abrianna in the back yard with him with instructions to leave the gate shut while I hurried into the house to make a bottle for Josephine. It would only take a couple of minutes. Then I heard Lucas yell, "No Baby!" accompanied by the slamming of the gate. Uh oh! I quickly looked out the window to see my 13 month old daughter toddling towards the road. I ran for the door. I didn't see her when I first made it outside. But did find her safe and sounds in a couple of seconds. Talk about heart pounding.
I walked to the gate, where Lucas' was bent over, and explained to him how scared I was and how he was NEVER EVER EVER to do that again.
I also discovered that he had gotten though the gate and was now stuck. His concern in getting out quickly dissolved into tears when I couldn't get him out. His head would NOT fit back though those slats! (Somewhere during all that time, Josephine had begun to wail so I was carrying both babies.)
I rushed into the house calling for Rick to come NOW! He did too. (Usually he doesn't but there must have been something about my tone of voice that cued him in.) Rick tried to force Lucas head back through, but it was a no go :( Just as he was getting ready to physically tear the fence apart with his hands, I had a bright idea. It had to be divine prompting here. We had Lucas continue to crawl though as far as he could and then we each got on either side of the fence and eased him out. Success!! Thank GOD!! What and adventuresome 10 minutes. Enough to take a couple of years off my life span.
Thankfully those types of days are few and far between.
Oh and by the way... I'm catching you all up and must return to trying to clean up. Tomorrow promises to be a busy day.
I have a massage in the morning and then we're supposed to go to the community colleges bar b que and get the grills going. Need to come up with something to fix for Sabbath too. Any bright EASY QUICK ideas?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Lucas got STUCK?!

That is just TOO FUNNY! I'm dying over here laughing! Thanks for sharing!

~Jen

Anonymous said...

wow, you really have been reading a lot! Way to go!

I miss reading books.

~Jen

Anonymous said...

Sounds like what happened with Reggie. Except Reggie made it out into the road (about the same age as Abrianna too) and when I discovered it, a car was coming. I screamed and yelled and ran and it's a good thing--because the driver didn't see Reggie but did see me and stopped. If I had been just several seconds later, I'm afraid we would be without Reggie today. I guess we must pray daily that our children's guardian angels make up for any slipups on our part! Love, Grandma Melody

Anonymous said...

Whew! What a scary 10 minutes! That road is a frightening place to have a home; espcielly when you have small children. Yikes! Living on that corner must raise your mommy anxiety by several notches. Well, that give your little ones guardian angels more to do. They will never be bored! ac