Thursday, October 2, 2008

Being a mommy

As much as I've read and watched others... I don't think anything prepares one for the challenges of motherhood. It isn't just the sleepless nights or boring days. I'll admit that as much as I'm blessed to stay home with them, I lack mental stimulation. Conversing with a two year old and 5 month old doesn't stretch my brain.
You'd think that sometimes boring days would be long and drawn out. Hardly! It seems like I blink my eyes and the day is done. I'm crawling into bed, cuddling my children up to me while reading a story. Giving in to one of Lucas' request to "cuddle few minutes!"
These days are so precious. I know that sounds like a contradiction. If you have children, you'll understand.
The frustrations are hoping that you're choosing the best avenue to reach your child. To train them towards adulthood. To pray to God daily and sometimes minutely for wisdom. To raise these precious children with as few scars as possible.

They are also wondering what to do when your child is ill. Lucas has had some unexplained fevers for the past month and a half. They're short lived- 24 hours or less. No other symptoms accompany them. I guess that isn't completely true. The fever he had 1 1/2 weeks ago was accompanied by some hallucinations ; landing us in ER. He was behaving normally be the time we got there. Frustrating but relieving at the same time.I stayed home from church the following day to avoid infecting his friends. I enjoy the limited socializing that I get from church. A spiritual blessing is always welcomed- though rare. I spend most of my time at church trying to keep my little treasures from bothering others.

He spiked another temperature yesterday, spending all morning sacked out on the couch. He felt well enough for a walk mid-afternoon. We spent some time in the backyard after that playing in the sand and grass. He was thoroughly worn out from that play. He fell asleep once again. About 5:15 he lept from the couch, grabbing his zebra flashlight began screaming hysterically. I picked him up. He tried desperately do get away from some invisible thing on the floor and away from his bottle of juice. Poor little guy! He was terrified. I'll admit I wasn't too far behind him. I held him close while we prayed for Jesus to be with us. After 5 -10 minutes he calmed down. I still don't know what caused that. I was ready to run back to ER again! I kept repeating to myself that Rick would be home any minute. As it turns out he didn't arrive for over a half an hour. Lucas' fever broke this morning about 7:00.
Dr. Wren asked me to bring in a urine sample, to rule out the possibility of a kidney infection, this morning and Lucas too if he still had a fever. Lucas has been complaining of low back pain off and on for the past 6 weeks or so. Lucas was officially diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth disease, again!! Dr. Wren said there are 16 different strains of that stuff. Maybe the hallucinating is a genetic thing. My youngest brother does that when he gets fevers.
Lucas' urine sample was ok. Dr. Wren just told him that he needs to drink more.
Its nap time now. I read Lucas a story and sang him a song. He insisted he didn't need to sleep. Ok, so just rest. I peeked in at him a few minutes ago. Poor little guy. So tired he's sleeping sitting up.

6 comments:

Shana said...

Oh man, sounds like you are really going through some rough times with the little tyke lately. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Laura said...

Oh wow. You described being a mom really well, although I haven't had such a sick boy as you're having. I'm sorry! I hope he doesn't get sick again for a long while. I understand the mental stimulation bit...hope to see you tomorrow night!

Anonymous said...

I don't usually learn by watching others (except bad examples) and I certainly don't learn mothering by reading, common sense and intuition guide me most of the time. I am so grateful that I get to stay home with my girls, they are all 3 a blessing and so smart! they make me laugh every day with the funny things they say and do, I'm teaching them to be better children, they're teaching me to be a better parent.

Qwerty said...

Oh, what a sweet mother you are, Rachel! Reading your post made me cry--I hope you get out more, and that the sweet little boy gets fixed! THat is so scary to hallucinate at that young of an age, where it seems real! Does he know it isn't real, and to just close his eyes and pray? I've never hallucinated before, so I don't know if the visions continue with the eyes closed or not.

~Jen

Anonymous said...

Yup! The visions continue with the closed eyes Jen. My brother used to halucinate when he had a high fever and so did Nat. It is scary for child and mommy both.
You are such a good mother Rachel. HE does guide you and you are very precious to HIM, as are your little ones. HE has an extra tender spot for mothers right in the center of HIS wonderful great heart. HE is very near and HE guides both you and your children, even though you may not FEEL it. Just know that HE IS with you and guiding you.
Yes, I remember yearning for adult stimulation when the boys were little. I chose and loved being at home with them but I still had the need for more than 2 sylable words.
Hang in there precious mama.

Anonymous said...

I'm testing the system to see if I can post. The last several times I tried to post it wouldn't let me! When our kids were little they never hallucinated when they had a fever. Guess I was lucky! Love, Grandma Melody